EU to ban 12 nanomaterials in cosmetics
The European Commission has notified the World Trade Organisation of a draft amendment adding 12 nanomaterials to the list of substances banned under the Cosmetic Products Regulation.
- Styrene/acrylates copolymer
- Sodium styrene/acrylates copolymer
- Colloidal copper
- Hydroxyapatite, gold
- Colloidal gold
- Gold thioethylamino hyaluronic acid
- Acetyl heptapeptide-9 colloidal gold
- Colloidal platinum
- Acetyl tetrapeptide-17 colloidal platinum
This measure is based on opinions reached by the EU Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety in 2021, identifying a basis of concern for the substances. It will be open for a 60-day comment period at the WTO, and is expected to be adopted in the EU in Q3, with entry into force 20 days after publication in the Official Journal.